Popular Posts

Selling handmade products to friends/acquaintances (not on Etsy) to make a little cash

My apologies if this isn’t the right sub for this, but hoping someone can help or steer me in the right direction. This is primarily a sales tax question.

For a couple years now I’ve been custom embroidering things for friends as gifts (like baseball hats, a sweatshirt, flannel, tote bag, etc.). A few of them have told me “you should sell these!” so I’m looking into it. I do not want to set up a website or go through Etsy - I’d like to just offer it up to people I know (classmates, friends, etc.).

For example, if an acquaintance is a maid of honor for her friend, she could buy 6 custom embroidered hats from me. We’d work on the design, colors, etc. together, I’d get paid, and then after I finish the hats I would ship them to her.

My question is this: If I sell these items to people just by using a Google Form and Venmo (all communication/invoices/proofs will be online or by text), do I need to collect and/or pay sales tax on these items? I live in Virginia, which does charge sales tax. If yes, how in the world do I go about that?

Thank you if you read this far - I appreciate any advice (I am just starting this research!).

submitted by /u/little_fierce18
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/comments/197hw1p/selling_handmade_products_to_friendsacquaintances/

No comments:

Add Comment