Popular Posts

Mcdonald's not following CA $10 gift card law. What should I do?

I have went to two different McDonald's locations and asked the employees and then the managers there how I can redeem my gift card that has less than 10USD on it for cash. I also explained the California Gift Card law to them. They said to contact McDonald's through their site.

I have contacted McDonald's 7 times now and they either just keep sending me generic replies that have nothing to do with my question OR twice they told me that they only do that, to comply with federal law, for 10 states, one of them being California (where I live and told them I live).

In the messages I send, I specifically say that I live in California. I quote the specific Statue of the California Civil Law Code. I specifically tell them the amount on my gift card is less than 10 USD and that I live in California, where they say is one of the 10 states that they have to comply with because of federal law.

They have been sued over this in the past in Marilao vs McDonald's Corp.

"Marilao v. McDonald's Corp. was a 2009 case where

Marilao requested cash for a gift card that was given to him. His first court case was denied because he did not state that it was below $10. After he amended his class action complaint to clarify that the GC was below $10, he won his case on 2 bases:

  1. "A plaintiff suffers an injury in fact for purposes of standing under the UCL when he or she has: ... (3) been denied money to which he or she has a cognizable claim [citations omitted]."
  2. "Plaintiff sufficiently alleges a cause of action for unjust enrichment"

Because he was denied cash for his gift card, he was 'denied money to which he or she has a cognizable claim'. As well, because McDonalds is paid for GCs, if they deny a customer's request for a cashout of less than $10, they are committing unjust enrichment."

I'm not saying I'm gunna sue them, I just am annoyed by how hard this is. Starbucks and Subway and a few other places have a specific automated system and website for this exact reason. It's simple and fast. McDonald's is just fucking me around for whatever reason.

What should I do?

EDIT: I thought this might be a good place to ask this sort of thing. If you have a suggestion for a subreddit you think would help me more, I'd love to hear! Thanks!

submitted by /u/DeschloroketamineWya
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/comments/wd7r8o/mcdonalds_not_following_ca_10_gift_card_law_what/

No comments:

Add Comment